The Golden Gate Trail Classic is the only Spartan Trail World Championship event in North America. Four distances will be offered for an amazing experience in the Bay Area of San Francisco.
Here are the details:
- General Event Information
- General Considerations
- Mandatory Equipment
- Race Rules
- Registration Fees
- Competition Categories & Awards
General Event Information
- Date: Saturday, November 20th & Sunday, November 21st 2021
- Distances: 10k, 21k, 50k and 100k
- Location: Crissy Field, 1199 E Beach, San Francisco CA 94129
- Start Line (100k / 50k / Half Marathon): Crissy Field, 1199 E Beach, San Francisco CA 94129
- Start Line (10k): TBD
- Finish Line (100k / 50k / Half Marathon / 10k): Crissy Field, 1199 E Beach, San Francisco CA 94129
- Golden Gate Trail Classic is created and organized by Spartan Trail with production partner Pacific Coast Trail Runs and race host Dean Karnazes.
- Spartan Trail will ensure compliance of these rules by all runners and decide on any issues related to the competition. All inquiries regarding course characteristics, competition, official times, etc. should be submitted to Spartan Trail Staff or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For any concern regarding registrations, deferrals, etc. Normal Spartan policies apply.
- Abnormal weather conditions or other unexpected event may force Spartan Trail to modify the course, modify start times or cut-off times at the different points of the race for safety reasons, in which case, participants will be notified and informed of the new course. In the event of last minute changes, the modified course will be announced during the Pre-Race Briefing before the race. The race markings could also be modified during the competition for safety reasons. All changes will be clearly marked.
- Spartan Trail reserved the right to use, reproduce, distribute and/or publish pictures, movies, videos and/or any other form of recording of the participants without having to provide any type of financial compensation. All runners should interpret registration to the event as their consent to these terms.
- Regardless of the reason, registration fees will not be reimbursed to participants who decide to drop out of the race.
- Participation in the race implies that the runner takes responsibility for the information provided in the registration form, full acceptance to abide by the rules and the terms and conditions of the competition, as well as to comply with the registration fees. Spartan Trail may prevent a participant from continuing to participate in the competition, if advised by the medical staff. Spartan Trail can also make changes in distances, routes and schedules due to weather factors. Such a decision will not give the participant the right to any claim to Spartan Trail Staff, sponsors and/or medical staff.
- Underage runners who have turned 14 years of age before the date of the race may participate in the 10k race.
- Those who have turned 16 years of age before the date of the race may participate in the Half Marathon race. In such case, a parent or legal guardian should sign both the registration form and the participant's waiver form.
- Under no circumstance, those athletes under 18 years of age will be allowed to participate in the 50k and 100k, given the degree of difficulty.
- Runners who have been suspended, or who have been found to have used forbidden substances, or who are serving a disqualification period imposed by any Federation may not participate in the race.
- Spartan Trail reserves its right to admit or deny anyone entry into the race.
- Spartan Trail reserves the right to refuse admission to participants who have been penalized in previous editions of this race..
- Runners who tamper with their race number will be disqualified.
- Spartan Trail will time all runners with either chips or manually. In order to classify as a finisher, all runners will have to pass through the rubber mats at the starting line, at all Check Points and Aid Stations (AS) and at the Finish Line.
- Outside support by family and friends and drop bag information will be determined and provided closer to the race date, depending on the current health and sanitary situation.
- The race will take place in the City of San Francisco, Golden Gate National Recreation Area and surrounding areas. One of the key factors for success is the natural beauty surrounding the race course. Therefore, local people and tourists are responsible for preserving this place. For this reason, we ask that you do not litter during the race and that instead you carry it to the Aid Stations or to the Finish Line. There will be garbage containers at the Aid Stations as well as 100 meters down the trail. Any runner who is caught by Spartan Trail throwing garbage outside the places authorized for this purpose, will be disqualified. This decision is final
- Registration is subject to availability and should be done online at goldengatetrailclassic.com, or at the centers listed in the section “Registration” of the race website.
- Registration procedures, deadlines, fees, and forms of payment are detailed at goldengatetrailclassic.com.
- For any concern regarding registrations, deferrals, etc. please refer to the Spartan FAQ - Click Here.
- d) No registration will be accepted on the day before the race or the day of the competition.
- Should a runner be found to have given his or her place to another runner, both participants will be disqualified.
- In order to register and pick up the race packet, it is compulsory to provide the following documentation:
- Original Photo ID or passport
- At race organizers discretion, a medical certificate may be requested for the 50k and the 100k distances.
- Depending on the current health situation, a COVID-19 test, vaccination card, or related, may be asked.
Mandatory equipment may be required for the 100k and 50k. For any updates, please refer to the official site of the Golden Gate Trail Classic (www.goldengatetrailclassic.com). Mandatory equipment is subject to change, registrants will be notified of any changes.
In addition to the rules below, Spartan Race & Spartan Trail standard rules and regulations will apply.
- No participant should be accompanied by any motor vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle or any other type of vehicle. Neither should they be accompanied by a person for assistance throughout the course. If this occurs, the runner will be disqualified.
- Runners may aid each other without incurring in any penalties.
- Only those competitors who have successfully completed the race distance they have registered for will appear in the official race results.
- Runners who fail to complete the full race distance they have registered for will be classified as DNF (Did Not Finish). No intermediate distance certificates will be issued (e.g., if a runner participates in the 100k and does not reach the finish line -completing the first 50k- he/she will not receive a certificate for the distance covered).
- Those participants completing the race distance after the official finish time (11:59 p.m.) or who have taken shortcuts for failing to reach the Aid Station before the cut-off time will be considered as DNF (Did Not Finish), despite having crossed the finish line.
- If a runner notices a fellow runner is in trouble, they are obliged to warn Spartan Trail.
- Runners who incur in any unsportsmanlike behavior, or who fail to comply with the instructions given by Spartan Trail and/or breach these rules shall be disqualified.
- Runners who drop out of the race have the obligation to inform Spartan Trail Staff. Drop-outs should only be notified at the Aid Stations, the start line or the finish line. Marshals or any other staff member outside these stations are not authorized to put on record any drop out notice.i) Detection of any substances included in WADA's list will lead to immediate disqualification and banning from future editions of the race.
- Forbidden Substances: The Prohibited List (list of prohibited substances and methods) is based on WADA's list (World Anti-Doping Agency). This list can be found here
- Race Entry fees are available at www.goldengatetrailclassic.com and can vary according to the date of registration.
- Each registered participant will receive:
- Access to the race of their choice (10k, 21k, 50k and 100k)
- Race Bib
- Timing Chip
- Snacks and beverages delivered at the Aid Stations
- Official finisher T-shirt
- Finisher medal for all runners who cross the Finish Line.
- Age Group and Top Finisher Awards.
Competition Categories & Awards
Elite and Age Group Categories will be awarded. For a detailed breakdown of awards and categories please refer to the Spartan Trail World Championship FAQ
For 100k and Half Marathon Trail World Championship races, Elites must apply in advance. You will be able to apply for Elite Category here.