At Spartan, getting you safely back on course and overcoming obstacles is the highest priority for us. Over the previous months, a dedicated Spartan team has worked judiciously to create a robust relaunch plan for events worldwide. This plan has been designed to keep all racers, volunteers, and staff safe, meet strict government requirements, and bring Spartan events back to as many people as safely possible.
Spartan formed a task force to design multiple blueprints that meet various guidelines and legislative requirements. These blueprints determine the types of event modifications and transmission mitigation protocols, and are deployed based on government and expert guidance, local rules and regulations, existing industry best practices, and customer feedback.
In this document:
- What Spartan is Doing
- Cleaning and Sanitization
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Social Distancing
- Screening (Racers, Staff, Volunteers)
- Event Adjustments
- At Risk Persons
What Spartan is Doing:
In addition to implementing actions and best practices mandated by governing authorities and local health and safety experts, Spartan has taken the following steps to ensure the safety and wellbeing of everyone attending a Spartan event. These guidelines are subject to change with the evolving situation.
Cleaning and Sanitization
- Reduced customer touch points to minimize physical interaction between racers, and racers and event staff.
- Additional cleaning and sanitization of customer touch-points throughout the festival area, including check-in areas, toilets, medal and shirt collection, results, payment collection points, and at aid stations and obstacles.
- Hand sanitizer will be available for use throughout events, including around high traffic areas, after every obstacle, in and around portable toilets. These will be refreshed by staff throughout the day.
- The use of sealed, bottled water at aid stations instead of cups and spigots.
- Increased safety and hygiene procedures for staff and volunteers including regular hand sanitization.
Personal Protective Equipment
- Face coverings are required for staff and racers upon arrival and in and around the festival area. This includes the at the start and finish line. This will be required regardless of statewide guidance.
All event staff and volunteers will wear face coverings at all times. Respect your fellow Spartans and follow the rules. Reusable face masks and gloves will also be available for purchase on site.
- Transparent plastic shields will be installed at key interaction points, such as racer check-in, to create separation between both racers and staff.
- To manage the volume of racers onsite, each racer will be given a specific arrival and departure time for entry and exit from the event to ensure total participant numbers at any one time are kept under strict control.
- Customer throughput will be monitored to ensure the number of people within the event space is kept to acceptable levels at all times.
- Heat sizes will be reduced, and courses themselves will be widened from previous standards to ensure safe spacing while running/walking and at obstacles.
- Dedicated lanes, along with designated waiting spots, will be provided at areas where racers tend to congregate, such as at check-in and at obstacles. Where lines are formed, distancing markers will be used to ensure safe distancing.
Screening (Racers, Staff, Volunteers)
- All event staff will be tested and cleared prior to arriving on site.
- Each customer (and volunteer) shall be required to complete a declaration when checking in at the event that they are not currently infected by COVID-19 and have not had, or knowingly been in contact with, someone experiencing any of the following COVID-19 symptoms in the past 14 days:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
There will be adjustments to the following broad event components as necessary, on a race by race basis:
- There is no on-site registration for this event. It is open for pre-registration only.
- The temporary removal of all water-based obstacles including Dunk Wall. Removal of the Sandbag Carry obstacle, and crawl obstacles will be modified to facilitate greater spacing between racers.
- Cold wash and changing tents will be unavailable..
- “No spectators” will be permitted, unless a participating minor is being accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- No awards ceremony will be held after the race to prevent gathering and ensure social distancing measures are adhered to.
- Shade tents will not be provided to facilitate social distancing.
- Food and beverage offerings will be pre-packaged, and these zones will not have seating, along with distancing guides placed for people waiting in line.
At Risk Persons
Anyone who falls under or lives with someone in these categories is encouraged not to participate in Spartan events at this time:
- People over 65 years of age
- People who have chronic lung disease, moderate to severe asthma, or severe heart disease;
- People who are immunocompromised: those who have undergone or are undergoing cancer treatment, bone marrow or organ transplantation; anyone with immune deficiencies, poorly controlled HIV or AIDS, or had prolonged use of corticosteroids; and smokers;
- People of any age with class III or severe obesity; or
- Anyone diagnosed with the following underlying conditions: diabetes, liver disease, and persons with chronic kidney disease undergoing dialysis.
- Per executive order from Governor DeSantis, all individuals traveling from Connecticut, New Jersey, New York and Louisiana must isolate or quarantine for a period of 14 days from the time of entry into Florida. Travel from other domestic locations is at the discretion of the individual.