In this article:
- Categories Eligible for Qualification
- National/Regional Series
- 2019 World Championship
- Rolldown Week
- Important Details
- Overview table with # of qualifying places
In 2019, we're introducing some exciting new ways that you can earn your spot at the Spartan World Championship event.
- Elite (all ages, male and female) (For more info: What you need to know about running Elite)
- Age Group (male and female) (For more info: What you need to know about running Age Group)
Only Elite and Age Group racers can qualify to race on Sunday at the World Championship. Open category racers will have Saturday exclusively on the course, and can register for this day without restriction.
Anyone can enter these events. The top 10 male and female Elite finishers (with roll down) and top 10 male and female finishers in each age group (no roll down) unlock entry into the Championship for their region. For example, US National Series racers will qualify for the North American Championship.
2019 National/Regional Series are:
- South American Regional Series
- Mexican National Series
- Canadian National Series
- United States National Series
- France National Series
- Spain National Series
- Italy National Series
- UK + Ireland Regional Series
- CEU Regional Series
- DACH Regional Series
- Australian National Series
- SEA Regional Series
- East Asia Regional Series
To qualify for one of the 5 gated Championships, you must be a top 10 Elite or Age Group finisher (male or female) at any regular season race (as well as all National / Regional Series events). A rolldown mechanism for elite category athletes exists globally.
The 2019 Championship events are as follows:
- South American Championship
- North American Championship
- European Championships
- APAC Championships
- Middle East & Africa Championships
Elite spots are scarce with just 600 total Elite spots available (300 men/300 women). There are only 2000 spots for Age Group racers (200 per age group, 100 male/100 female). Elite and Age Group athletes will have the course reserved entirely for themselves for an entire day at the World Championship.
Racers can qualify in 2 main ways:
- By ranking high enough at a National/Regional Series. See the chart below for the number of spots allocated per series. If a racer does not register during the 7 day rolldown week following the last race of each series, they will forfeit their spot and the next racer on the list will be invited. This will continue until all spots allocated to that series are taken.
- By ranking high enough at a Regional Championship (eg. North American, European) you will also be invited to the World Championship. See chart below for the number of spots allocated to each Championship.
- The follow racers also are automatically invited
- Any Prior male or female Spartan Elite World Championship winner
- Top 10 male and female elite racers from the prior year’s Spartan World Championship
- Any male or female elite Championship winners from 2016-2019
- Age Group winners from the prior year’s Spartan World Championship
2019 World Championship qualification now occurs during Rolldown Week (not at each event as was the case previously).
Rolldown week begins immediately after Age Group awards at the last race of each National / Regional Series, and at each Championship. Rolldown week runs for 7 days and gives athletes present at the event who have qualified the first chance to sign up. Once these athletes have their chance to sign up, if any spots are left then qualifying email invitations will be sent to all remaining athletes not present.
- Qualifying athletes may be of any nationality / citizenship
- Elite and Age Group racers that qualify for a Championship by attending a regular season race and obtaining a top 10 spot, are qualifying for the next calendar Championship in their region (for example, a race in Korea would act as a qualifier for the APAC Championship).