In this article:
- Categories Eligible for Qualification
- National/Regional Series
- 2021 Regional Championships
- Qualifying for Regional Championships
- Determining Which Regional Championships Regular Season Events Qualify For
- 2021 National Championships
- Qualifying for National Championships
- 2021 Spartan World Championship (and how to Qualify)
- 2021 World Championship Qualifying (Rolldown System)
Any competitor may freely sign up for these events, no prior qualification is needed. The top 10 male and female Elite finishers (with roll down) and top 10 male and female finishers in each age group (with roll down) unlock entry into the Championship for their region. For example, US National Series competitors will qualify for the North American Championship, held in Lake Tahoe.
2021 National/Regional Series are:
- United States National Series
- Canadian National Series
- UK + Ireland Regional Series
- France National Series
- Spain National Series
- Italy National Series
- CEU Regional Series
- DACH Regional Series
- Mexican National Series
- Australian National Series
- SEA Regional Series
- East Asia Regional Series
Middle East & Africa
- South African National Series
2021 Regional Championships
There are 4 2021 Regional Championship events:
- North American Championship (To Be Announced)
- European Championship (To Be Announced)
- Latin American Championship (To Be Announced)
- APAC Championship (To Be Announced)
- Elite athletes may qualify for a Regional Championship by finishing in the top 10 at any regular season event.
- Age Group athletes may qualify for a Regional Championship by finishing in the top 10 of their Age Group category at any regular season event.
The period for qualification for any of the five Regional Championships is a rolling period (which may be more or less than 12 months), with the start and end dates determined by the window of time between the previous season’s championship and the next season’s championship.
The exact period of qualification is calculated by defining the start date as the first week-day following the previous season’s Regional Championship, and the last week-day before the first Elite heat of the next season’s Regional Championship. Local time in both locations governs the exact start and end times.
For example, the window of qualification for the 2021 European Championship is from the Monday after the 2019 European Championship in the Dolomites, Italy (0001 on Monday, 1st July 2019) to the day prior to the first Elite heat of the 2021 European Championship.
Determining Which Regional Championships Regular Season Events Qualify For
The geographical region where a regular season event is held determines which championship Elite and Age Group athletes qualify for.
For example, a regular season race held in Boston, Massachusetts in the United States would qualify Elite and Age Group athletes attending that event for the North American Championship, as Boston is located within North America.
Citizenship Rules for Regional Championships
To simply participate in a Regional Championship event, an Elite competitor does not need to be a citizen of a country within that region, so long as they have qualified at a regular season event within that region. This athlete is regarded as an “exhibition” competitor.
To be eligible for prize money, awards, and official podium recognition, an Elite athlete must be a citizen (whether by birth or naturalization) of a country that is deemed a part of the region where each championship is held.
- For example, an Elite category athlete who is a citizen of Canada may qualify for the North American Championship by finishing in the top 10 at a regular season event held in the United States. This athlete is eligible for prize money, awards, and podium recognition as their country of citizenship (Canada) is regarded as being within North America.
All Elite athletes who finish within the top 10 at any championship must provide proof of citizenship upon request from the Head Official or Race Director.
In the case where a non-eligible athlete finishes in a podium position, they will not be eligible to receive prize money, overall awards, or be part of the final official podium.
Proof of citizenship must include documentation establishing the applicant is a lawful and officially recognized citizen of their nominated country. A passport is the usual means for this.
2021 National Championships
There are 3 2021 National Championship events:
- New Zealand Championship(To Be Announced)
- Australian Championship (To Be Announced)
- Caribbean Championship (To Be Announced)
- These events are open to all racers. No prior qualification is needed.
Qualifying for the 2021 World Championship
In total, there are 1140 total Elite spots and 4180 total Age Group spots at the World Championship:
|Gender||Elite Qualifying Spots||Age Group Qualifying Spots
(225 per category)
Competitors may qualify in three ways:
- By ranking high enough in the final leaderboard of a National/Regional series. The table below shows the exact number of spots allocated per series. If a competitor does not register during a seven day rolldown period following the last race of each series, they may forfeit their spot and the next eligible competitor may be offered the spot.
- By ranking high enough at a Regional or National Championship (eg. North American, European). See the chart above for the number of spots allocated to each Regional Championship.
- Throughout 2021, Spartan reserves the right to designate select regular season events eligible for World Championship qualifying points, for both Elite and Age Group categories.
The 2021 rolldown system features major modifications to the 2019 Elite and Age Group roll down process for World Championship qualification.
**Elite and Age Group Racers may sign up prior to qualifying for a spot.**
Any racer that has not qualified by meeting the standards laid out below by Monday October 25th 2021 at 12pm EDT will be moved to open with no refunds being made available for either the price difference in the heat nor the race entry itself.
2021 Spartan World Championship Qualifying Standards
The following table provides an overview of the 2021 World Championship qualifying system and spots allocated:
2021 Spartan World Championship Invitations
Invitations to qualified racers will be sent at the following times.
- The Monday following the completion for all global National & Regional Series (pending any outstanding officiating decisions). The Elite and Age Group Leaderboards will be used to determine which athletes earn qualifying spots at the World Championship.
- In the case a series is not completed by Monday October 25th 2021 at 12pm EDT all Elite and Age Group leaderboards as they stand on this date for all global National & Regional Series, will be used to determine qualifying spots for the World Championship during.
- If any series events take place after this date and standings are affected by said events, World Championship invites will not be rescinded from competitors, however any new qualifiers will be extended an invitation to World Championship.
- The Monday immediately following any National or Regional Championships (pending any outstanding officiating decisions).
- Monday October 25th 2021 at 12pm EDT (New York, GMT-4) Spartan World Championship Rolldown Week will begin. At this time, based on availability, emails with a qualifying code for entry to the World Championship will be sent by Spartan HQ to qualifying Elite and Age Group athletes who have not yet claimed their spot. These qualified athletes will be able to then complete registration for the 2021 World Championship.
- World Championship Rolldown Week will conclude on Sunday October 31st 2021 at 11:59pm EDT (New York, GMT-4).